header-photo

Building My Foundationless Frames

Like I said before, organic beekeeping involves using foundationless frames. That is, frames without the hexagonally imprinted wax (shown in the last post). Here is a short video of my cousin-in-law (or something like that) and I building my frames.


PS The reason the video is so short is because we were running out of memory space on the camera. Making foundationless frames is pretty easy. Though you will not need wax foundation, you will need to build what is called a starter strip. A starter strip is usually made out of a piece of cardboard or small strips of wood (I used paint stirring sticks). The cardboard or wood is wedged in the top bar and sealed in with melted beeswax. Here is what mine look like...


Notice the paint stirring stick at the top is covered in beeswax (and notice my amazing hive in the background). The bees will smell the wax on the strip and then start drawing comb straight down from there. Pretty cool right? It's organic beekeeping! I also have to give credit where credit is due. I found most of the information I am sharing with you from the backward beekeepers; Kirkobeeo, you are the man. Click here to see their blog.

1 comments:

ahouston32 said...

so does the notch in the paint stick make any difference? it seems to me like that would make the comb slightly uneven. But then again, bees are probably smart enough to accommodate for inconsistencies like that. Also, that is a fantastic-looking fence.

Post a Comment